Monday, September 9, 2013

Hurdle #2- Cleared!

Today was the severance hearing, and again my nerves set in.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but I could not be happier with the results.

Of course the bio parents did not attend the hearing, but their attorneys fought for their rights anyway.  I guess if you represent someone, you should drag out the inevitable?  Not sure, but the Attorney General laid into them pretty good after the hearing.  It was interesting, to say the least.

The parents rights were severed, and the court has 10 days to file the paperwork related to our hearing today.  After the paperwork is filed, the bio parents are notified and they have 15 days to appeal the decision.  I doubt they will, especially since no one knows where they are, but stranger things have happened.  While those two things are happening, the baby will be moved to the adoptions division and he will get another caseworker- ugh.  But, this also means that we are so close to officially becoming a family, and that makes everything worthwhile. 

We already have our adoption certification going through the courts, and it is my understanding that we are in the final stages.  Because we were proactive and submitted our adoption packet to the courts back in July, our process may go a little faster.  We are hoping that everything is done before Thanksgiving- how appropriate, right?  National Adoption Day is November 23rd, so we are aiming for that date.  Earlier would be great, but either way we are almost there!

Today was also the day that we said good-bye to the other little guy.  I was upset when we dropped him off, but he really didn't react.  I truly believe that he wants to show love, but doesn't know how.  I can only hope he receives the help he needs. I have been trying to get him assessed through AzEIP (Arizona Early Intervention Program) for the last six weeks, and my concerns have seemed to fall on deaf ears.  Does anyone else find it ironic that they finally called me just hours after he was dropped off at the CPS office?  Too little, too late I'm afraid.

Thank you all for your prayers, kind words, and encouragement.  There have been days when I questioned our decision to become a foster family, especially after what happened this past Friday.  I do know that we are doing the right thing, but it is easy to feel beat up and crazy, but your comments really help me pull myself up and carry on.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment