Monday, March 4, 2013

Excuse Me, What Comes Next?

I am very much a scheduled person.  I make lists, I keep a calendar, I have appointments, and that is the way I have always been.  I like to know how things work and what the process is, and how long it should take to get something done.  When do I need to be there and what do I need to bring with me?

However, becoming a foster parent has shot all of that to hell.  There is a lot of "sit around and wait", which drives me nuts, and means I need to be prepared for anything.  I wish there was a flow chart available that just laid out how all of this is supposed to work, because trust me, there is a different answer from each person you ask. 

I did find out today that a new caseworker has been assigned and we have an appointment to meet this week.  I also found out that a "Parent Aide" will be assigned to us, which is great because the new caseworker is located over an hour away and the Parent Aide will have to do all of the transporting for the weekly visit with the family.  Not only will that save me a lot of gas money (and maybe a tank of gas will last more than three days), but that also means I get some "Me Time".  "Me Time" will be spent scrubbing toilets, washing floors, vacuuming, dusting, and taking care of all of the other things I don't get done during the week.  I may actually get to go to the grocery store by myself.  Who's jealous?

I have come to find that I enjoy being a foster parent, especially for this baby.  Everything is so new for him and I love sharing that with him.  I remember when Cameron was little and I loved to see look of wonderment in his eyes, and introducing him to new things.  I truly miss that.  Cameron doesn't need me like he used to, and that hurts a little.  But it also means I can dedicate more time to the children in foster care who come into our home, and that is important. 

So, I will just have to adjust to the unpredictable and see where this journey takes us!

No comments:

Post a Comment