Monday, August 5, 2013

Our New Little Guy

Our foster license was successfully amended over a week ago.  We can now have two foster children at one time, and I have to wonder what I was thinking.  CPS wasted little time in placing another baby with us, this time a 14-month-old boy.  Let's just say that the 6-month-old has spoiled me.

The new little guy came with zero information and epic temper tantrums.  To say the last eight days have been a challenge would be an understatement, and I have been pushed to my limit.  Thanks to wonderful friends who have stepped in to give me a break, we have made it through the first week (mostly) intact.  I have had to take a step back, breath deeply, and remember that this baby is the way he is due to his circumstances.  It is evident that no one worked with him, so he doesn't talk much (he only says two words- "Mom" and "Don't"), he doesn't seem to comprehend questions or understand much of what is going on around him, and he throws the worst temper tantrums I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with- he goes completely limp and will just drop to the floor.  Bedtime and nap time are a bit of a nightmare because he literally throws himself into the crib railing.  I wish there was something more I could do for him, but my only option is to let him be (in his contained environment- per the pediatrician), and hope that he starts to understand that fits don't get you what you want.  I can confidently say that I doubt he had set nap times or bedtimes, was given bottles to keep him quiet, and he really had to compete for attention.  I have a lot of work ahead of me!

I may get frustrated, and cry, but in the end I just hope that we make a difference for him.  My days are difficult, and I may vent my frustrations, but this baby needs me just like the other one does.  Unfortunately, he will probably be moved to his permanent home once we get a routine down, and then it will start all over again with the next one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment